Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day





So, Father's Day wasn't exactly what I would have imagined. Jason woke up on the wrong side of the bed and was on edge during most of the morning. It couldn't possibly be that he stays up until 2:30-3:30 watching his shows that he DVR's during the week, could it? What do I know, I'm just the wife. Although, thanks to my constant nagging and usually wise counsel, I think he is starting to realize that maybe, just maybe, staying up late isn't agreeing with his 34 year old body. Anyway, we spent the afternoon at church and instead of the King Size Candy Bar the Fathers have gotten every year for the past 4 years (thanks to my friend and former YW President, Natalie) this time they got a Sprite. A pop for "Pop." Cute idea, but not what he or the kids were expecting. I guess it got the kids off his back! Usually they are swarming around the candy begging for "just a piece!" The Primary sent the kids home with bags of Hershey kisses, and with four Primary aged kids, that's a lot of kisses. So, he did get his chocolate sweet after all (that is whatever was left for him after they dug into "his" treat). Anyway, then we came home and I wanted a picture of the two of us and one with him and the kids on Father's Day, but he took off upstairs and changed his clothes (I guess that's my fault for not verbalizing my plan.) So, I had Ali take one of just me. The girls did not want a picture together in their matching dresses, so I took one of my camera lovin' DIVA, Emily. Not sure what pose she is doing, but she looks like she's 2 ft. tall.

Stacy was so proud of her money she made daddy in Nursery and decided to keep it for herself.

After church I spent the next couple of hours getting ready to receive Jason's family over for Father's Day dinner. I made a Reese's Peanut Butter Cake. I spent time on it and it looked dang good. I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in anything. I love them in cookies, brownies, cake, cupcakes, in a blizzard from DQ, in the from of an egg, tree, pumpkin. No matter what the form, I LOVE IT! I know Jason loves it to, or so I thought! Apparently he was looking forward to a Strawberry Pie (that would explain the HUGE Costco size carton of Strawberries he brought home Friday.) A part of me knew that is what he would want, but I wanted to make something new. We ate dinner and they went outside and hit the volleyball around for awhile and then we all came in and had my huge chocolate lovers dream of a cake. And my husband thought it looked amazing, but said after eating a few bites, " This would taste good as a brownie, then you could control your portion." This is coming from a man that shovels the sweets into his mouth without a thought in his mind about "portion control." What honey, you are suddenly on a diet??


Now, to his defense, the cake is pretty much Death on a Platter- the cake has Reese's P B cups chopped up and mixed in and then there is PB frosting in between the two chocolate cakes and and more chopped Reese's PB cups on top of that. Then to top it off, I covered the top and sides of the cake with the peanut butter frosting and topped that with a chocolate fudge frosting and then more cut up Reese's PB cups. There could possibly be 1000 calories per slice. (J/K- I HOPE!!!) Anyway, despite the insane amount of calories lingering in this Chocolate Dream, it was SENSATIONAL! I thought it was amazing. Apparently they all thought it was good, but a "little rich." I tried not to let it spoil my night. Sorry Jason, maybe next time you can have that Strawberry Pie! Overall, I think the day ended ok.



I sure am lucky to have such an amazing man in my life. He is my best friend and I am grateful for every day I have with him. He is a great father and has done so much for all of us. He is very talented and extremely handy. He is also a man of integrity, which I love. He never ceases to amaze me. He reminds me of my father who I feel was an amazing man. I miss my dad. It has been over 13 years since he passed away and tears still come to my eyes when I think of him. I wish Jason and the kids' could know him. He was incredibly talented and had such a love for life, especially for his wife, my incredible mom! They had something rare, he had such a love for her that anyone in their presence could feel. He was a good man and a great father. I feel blessed to have had him in my life for 22 years.




I am also grateful for my Step-father, Harold Oaks. He is an amazing man as well. He is so good to my mom and I am grateful that they have each other. He is the only Grandpa on my side that my kids know and they love him so much. I am so glad that they have connected with him. He is great with kids.




I can't forget Jason's dad. He set an example for Jason and taught him to be a hard worker. Dennis has always been a great mentor for Jason. He is a hard worker and has done an amazing job providing for his family. We feel fortunate to have his parents close by. They have been great at helping out when needed.



I feel very blessed to have such wonderful examples of father's in my life and my list could go on to grandpas as well. How grateful that such wonderful people paved the way before me. I hope I can effectively teach my children of their great heritage. We are truly blessed!

2 comments:

Amy said...

That cake does look yummy! We're big peanut butter lovers ourselves. David would be jealous, so don't tell him, okay, or he'll want me to make one & then I would go & eat it. Lots of it.

Bright Eyes (Shelley) said...

I remember your Dad's smiles. he seemed to always have a smile.

I told Scott he would be lucky to have a nice dinner. LOL! That cake looks like MY kind of stuff! Scott would want the Strawberry pie too. He isn't a chocolate fan...WHAT????